Shure Launch ULX-D Wireless System
21 February 2012
Shure ULX-D™ Digital Wireless offers uncompromising audio clarity and extremely efficient RF performance with rugged, intelligent, encryption-enabled hardware. Advanced rechargeability options eliminate the need for disposable batteries while extending usage times and life cycle.
Generations ahead of any other available system in its class, ULX-D Digital brings a new level of performance to professional sound reinforcement.
OK. So what makes ULX-D so cool?
- True digital transmission. This is not digitally processed analogue which sometimes gets marketed as "digital wireless”; it is true 24 bit 48 kHz end to end digital transmission, delivering pristine quality 20Hz – 20 kHz audio with 120dB of dynamic range! Something never before possible in a wireless system in this price range.
- No Compansion. This is a true linear system which means you no longer need to work around analogue compansion (compressor / expander) systems which colour your audio. Guitarist will love this. At last, a wireless system that sounds the same as a cable!
- Audio gain adjustment from the receiver. An additional benefit of having 120dB of dynamic range is you no longer need fiddle about setting the analogue gain trim on the transmitter to get it in the compandor ‘sweet spot' or gain matching multiple transmitters. ULX-D provides 60dB of analogue gain adjustment at the receiver. No more running out to grab the transmitter when (not if) your performer / presenter decides to talk or sing much louder or softer than during sound check. Simply adjust from the receiver or attached computer.
- Networkable. Did I say attached computer in the point above? Yes I did. ULX-D receivers can be networked via Ethernet (TCP/IP) providing full remote control via Shure Wireless Work Bench 6 (WWB6) software. ULX-D systems can be integrated with other Shure networkable products such as UHF-R, Axient and PSM1000 for system wide programming and control.
- Encryption. ULX-D includes advanced AES 256 bit encryption for secure transmission. Essential for corporate presentations, boardroom applications or anyone who believes the CIA may be spying on them.
- Reliable RF performance. ULX-D operates in the UHF TV spectrum which is the cleanest most reliable band available for wireless microphone systems. Unlike other digital systems which operate in crowded ISM bands such as 2.4GHz and need to compete for spectrum with Wi-Fi, blue tooth, wireless video, microwave ovens, etc. This also means that ULX-D is most likely compatible with your existing wireless microphone systems and can share antennas and antenna distribution systems.
- Digital Dividend Ready. ULX-D delivers highly efficient RF performance, capable of squeezing 14 active systems into a single un-occupied TV channel. This coupled with an impressive 64 MHz tuning range means ULX-D is capable of delivering around 60 compatible systems in one frequency band. Something previously only possible on systems several times this price range.
- Rechargeable batteries. ULX-D Advanced Lithium-ion rechargeable batteries provide over 12 hours of operation on a single charge. A new docking recharge station facilitates recharging of transmitters without removing the batteries.
- Common battery solution. ULX-D utilises the same battery and charging solution as the recently released PSM 900 and PSM 1000 in-ear systems. Providing a common rechargeable battery solution for all systems.
More info on the ULX-D is available on the Shure website, here. Or, there is also a YouTube video from NAMM here if you prefer to watch rather than read.
« go back